St. Wolstan's Community School

Third Year Assessments

08-May-20
Third Year Assessments

Assessment and Reporting on your daughter’s Junior Certificate 2020

Dear Parents/Guardians,

I hope that you and your families are safe and well.

On behalf of the Board of Management and Staff, I am writing to you to give you an update on the school’s whole school strategy in relation to assessment and reporting of your daughter’s learning achievement in each of her subjects.

As you are aware, your daughter has experienced a very disrupted period of learning due to the Covid-19 crisis. Our teachers and SNAs are using a wide range of teaching and learning approaches to support your daughter as best they can in the circumstances. The learning experiences for your daughter varies for many reasons over which you, your daughter and the school has little control.

In this context the Minister of Education and the Department of Education have taken the decision that it is not possible for your daughter to complete the Junior Cycle final examination.

In light of this, in 2020 the Junior Cycle learning achievements of you daughter will be recognised by a State Certificate of Completion of Junior Cycle from the Department of Education and Skills and a School Report from the school setting out the learning achievements of your daughter in Junior Cycle.

Your daughter will receive a written report on the broad range of learning that she has achieved in each of her subjects. This assessment of her learning will be provided by her teachers. We as a Staff in St. Wolstan’s Community school have considered the following:

  • Evidence available from assignments, tests, task journals, projects, practical and other work completed over the course of Second and Third years.
  • Classroom-Based Assessments completed in Second and Third Year.
  • School designed examinations, tasks, projects, assignments, essay style questions, presentations or other tasks chosen by the teacher.

To ensure equity, we as a Staff have agreed to give greater weighting to your daughter’s work that was completed in advance of the school closure on 12th March. We have also agreed a whole school approach to assessment using the following guidelines:

Second year –Christmas Report 20% and Summer reports 20%. Total = 40%

Third Year – November Assessment 2019 20% and Mock examination 2020, 20%. Total = 40 %

Work from 12th March to end of term: 20 %.

Total is 100 %

Should your daughter have missed any of the four assessments (80%), the Subject Department will agree an alternative assessment that can be used in order to ensure equity and fairness to all students.

Your daughter will be informed by her teacher of the agreed Subject Department assessment protocol for last term. Please ensure that your daughter engages with the last few weeks of term in order to maximize her learning.

Teachers will complete reports at the end of this term and your daughter’s report will issue to you in mid-June.

I trust that this clarifies our whole school assessment and reporting for your daughter for the Junior Cycle 2020.

Thank you most sincerely for your consideration and support during these difficult days and I look forward to better days in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Maria Barry.

Principal and Secretary to the Board of Management.

No events found
Follow us
Enquire
Contact
St. Wolstan's Community School,
Clane Road,
Celbridge,
Co. Kildare,
Ireland

01 628 8257


Location
© 2020 St. Wolstan's Community School